In a business where there is a lot of foot traffic, plus a considerable amount of hand and surface contact mixed in with sensitive items like produce, fresh meat, poultry and seafood, drinks, and consumables, a grocery store is a complex cleaning environment that needs to be cleaned thoroughly and regularly. Customers expect a clean and organized grocery shopping experience when they come to buy their food. They want to see dust- and spot-free surfaces, not smell any unpleasant odors, and walk on dry, debris-free floors. This mix of cleaning needs brings us to the detailed areas where cleaning a grocery store should be focused in order to provide your customers with what they expect. Keep reading below for your grocery store cleaning checklist.
Grocery Store Cleaning Checklist
- Glass doors and windows. Glass doors and windows on the front of your store and in the freezer and refrigerated food display cases should be cleaned and disinfected on a regular basis throughout the day. The handles and areas that are touched frequently need special attention as well. Make a note to clean both the interior and exterior of the doors as necessary.
- Trash cans. Trash cans both inside the grocery store and out need to be monitored and emptied frequently to avoid unpleasant odors, bugs, and debris from overflowing onto the ground. Keeping a schedule in place to check these cans throughout the day is a must when you want to provide a safe and sanitary grocery shopping environment.
- Floors. Debris and moisture on floors can be unsafe, and cause falls and injury. Regularly monitoring and cleaning the grocery store floors, in the restrooms and staff break rooms, and entrances and hallways, is essential to keep your floors safe and looking their best. Make sure to mop, sweep, and vacuum often to ensure this surface has a clean and attractive appearance.
- Restrooms. Everyone loves a clean restroom. It’s important to include this on your regular daily grocery store cleaning schedule. Making sure to disinfect and sanitize this space will help avoid the spreading of germs and contaminants, and reduce or eliminate odors. Your restrooms should also be included on a regular review throughout the day to ensure this area is touched up, and that trash and moisture are removed from the floors.
- Organizing food and merchandise. Keeping your grocery store organized and picked up provides a nice looking shop. This gives your customers a pleasant experience to find the items they are looking for. It also allows for your employees to keep any damaged or expired items out of the shelves.
- Shopping carts. Have employees be sure to monitor shopping carts for forgotten food items, trash like shopping lists and coupons left behind, and any broken or damaged parts. Providing hand wipes at your entrance can provide your customers a convenient way to disinfect their carts before shopping.
The Importance of Keeping your Grocery Store Clean
You’ll notice a common theme of consistent and regular assessments of a grocery store’s cleanliness and appearance. It’s fundamental for a grocery store to be diligent with its cleaning and sanitizing processes. The health and safety of the public and staff are important in this type of environment and it’s necessary to follow a rudimentary cleaning system to provide a pleasant shopping and working experience.
Hire a Reliable Cleaning Team for your Grocery Store
Bringing on a commercial cleaning team can be just what you need to keep your grocery store clean on a regular basis. Let us do the cleaning work for you in a safe, reliable, and consistent fashion. Learn more about our commercial cleaning services for all your cleaning needs in almost any work environment that gets dirty.
We also have a checklist you can look over when you are interviewing your new cleaning crew. Our professional cleaning staff is bonded, insured, and maintains OSHA compliance. We would be happy to clean it for you. Please contact us online or call us at 571.451.0441 for answers to your questions and to schedule your janitorial cleaning appointment today!