No matter if your workplace or office sees a lot of traffic or is smaller in size, keeping your break room or kitchen area clean and looking good is important for a well-run workplace. It won’t take long before this area sees a lot of crumbs, trash, sticky counters, and overall food messes from coffee, lunches, and meal prep during the day. Keeping those types of messes to a minimum is in everyone’s best interest, and staying on top of it can be easy as we explain how to clean your break room quickly.
How to Clean your Break Room Quickly
Daily cleaning tasks are fundamental to keeping a break room clean and easy to maintain. The more often you stick to a daily cleaning schedule, the quicker the cleaning can happen. If you have a commercial cleaning team come in daily, it’s simple to have this taken care of for you. If you need to assign someone on staff to review and touch up the break room before the end of the work day, everyone could be assigned a day during the week or month to spread the cleaning duties around.
Cleaning Your Break Room Regularly
Some general break room cleaning expectations for your employees would include:
- Always clean up before you leave the kitchen or break room space
- If you make a mess, you clean it up
- If you notice the trash is piling up, take it out
- If you use some dishes, quickly wash them before returning to work
- If the table area is cluttering up, tidy it
A checklist on the wall can be helpful for staff to remember, too.
Assigning cleaning duties doesn’t have to be burdensome. At the end of every day, simple things like cleaning the last of the dishes, wiping counters and tables, and picking one appliance every day to lightly clean will make a big difference. Wipe out the inside of the microwave or the outside of the fridge, give the toaster oven a wipe down…tasks like that. Then, once a week or monthly, the fridge could use a deeper clean out and wiping to always provide a nice space for everyone’s food and drinks. If it’s done regularly, large clean-ups can be reduced and even avoided entirely.
And always remember to sweep the floors as well as regularly clean the coffee pot, which likely gets a lot of daily use.
Cleaning Break Room Appliances
As mentioned above, the break room appliances should be cleaned regularly to keep them looking nice and functioning well. Here’s a quick rundown.
- Microwave If there is caked-on food inside, heat a cup of water for a minute or two and easily wipe the inside clean. Wipe the outside well to eliminate fingerprints and smudges.
- Refrigerator Toss old food, wash dirty storage containers, and wipe shelves inside. Use a sanitizing or disinfecting spray on the outside and on the handles to avoid spreading food contaminants or germs.
- Toaster or Toaster Oven A lot of cooking smells can be avoided when the toaster is kept clean. Pull out the catch tray and wipe away old toast and burnt bits. Wipe the outside and top to eliminate grime and splatters.
Benefits of a Clean Break Room
A clean break room makes everyone feel better about where they work. Walking into a nice-looking (and fresh-smelling!) space when you’re ready to have your lunch or a break is great for morale, staff mentality, and the health of the workplace.
Having a clean break room means no bugs or rodents. No spills or accidents. No smells and odors lingering from this area in the workplace.
Before you know it, your break room will be a place people enjoy spending time in and stick around for lunch and camaraderie instead of running off to the local restaurant.
When You’re Ready for a Consistently-Clean Break Room
The easiest way to keep your break room clean is to hire a professional team to clean. Let us do the cleaning work for you – either on a regular schedule or for your one-time cleans. Click here to learn more about the janitorial services we can help you with.
Our professional cleaning staff is bonded, insured, and maintains OSHA compliance. Please contact us online or call us at 571.451.0441 for answers to your cleaning questions and to schedule your personalized janitorial cleaning estimate today!