Keeping your church clean is vital to your church congregation. You want to provide a safe and healthy experience for your parishioners and guests, so having a regular cleaning schedule and plan to tackle all the cleaning projects will help provide a continuously clean church for everyone. We’ve outlined 5 main focus areas to help you keep your church clean.
How to Keep your Church Clean
Just like with an office space or child care center, you want to make sure your church spaces are disinfected and sanitized often and thoroughly. A church tends to be a high-traffic space that involves not only worship services, but child care, group meals, weddings, funerals, and other events that can make any location dirty quickly.
There are a number of areas in a church that will require both cleaning and disinfecting or sanitizing. A list can encourage everyone to pitch in and help with the overall cleaning throughout the week.
5 Main Areas to Clean in your Church
- Bathrooms, Kitchens, and Daycare Areas – These areas will be top of your list for disinfecting and sanitizing. Not only will these areas carry germs, but they can also harbor moisture and even disease. Staying on top of these areas of your church will go a long way to preventing the spread of illness. A daily disinfecting of these locations is a must. Take care to use the disinfecting solutions properly to avoid foodborne contaminants, provide fresh bathrooms, and safe daycare spaces for your littlest church attendees.
- Cleaning Wooden Church Pews – This type of seating will be considered a high-touch location. It will see a lot of use as well as coming-and-going of church guests. It will be important to regularly wipe the wooden pews down with a wood cleaning product that will be gentle on the surface but tough on germs. This process will probably require a wipe down with the cleaning formula and then repeating the process with a soft dry rag to protect the wood surface. If there are cushions on the pews, a light vacuuming will take care of crumbs and debris. If they need more attention, they might need some fabric cleaner or stain remover. A fabric cleaning machine can help improve the look of cushions if they need more serious attention. We also have a more in-depth article on church pew cleaning over here.
- Cleaning Church Stain Glass – This is a delicate surface to consider when it needs to be cleaned. If it’s not necessary to hire a professional stain glass cleaner, as these windows can be carefully cleaned with a mild soap and water mix. Lightly wipe the window surfaces, getting into the nooks and crannies the best you can. Unlike a full glass panel window, work in small sections and don’t rush the cleaning process. Keep the rag damp but not soaking wet while you wipe the surface. With another soft dry rag, lightly wipe the stained glass clean and lightly buff out any streaks.
- Cleaning Church Brass – Depending on how the surface of the church brass statues, candleholders, crosses, and other church furnishings or accents looks, these types of decorations might just need a good dusting. A soft duster will do the job. If the brass shows more wear or the dusting didn’t clean it well enough, it might need some polish to help it shine again.
- Common Areas and Offices – Dusting, vacuuming, and trash removal once or twice a week will keep these areas looking nice. Some disinfecting on door handles, arms of chairs, and desktops can help prevent illness when done often. Consider keeping disinfecting wipes nearby to clean these spots throughout the day as well.
When You’re Ready for a Consistently-Clean Church
The easiest way to keep your church clean on a regular basis is to hire a professional team to clean. Let us do the cleaning work for you – either on a regular schedule or for your one-time cleans. Click here to learn more about the janitorial services we can help you with.
Our professional cleaning staff is bonded, insured, and maintains OSHA compliance. We are happy to clean your church and many more work environments. Please contact us online or call us at 571.451.0441 for answers to your cleaning questions and to schedule your personalized janitorial cleaning estimate today!