A commercial kitchen will surely be a high-activity area. From restaurants and hotels to conference centers and cafeterias, a commercial kitchen will provide food for a number of different industries. With the constant food debris and spillage that occurs during cooking and food prep, keeping the commercial refrigerators clean is important. So, what should you know about cleaning a commercial refrigerator and how often should yours be cleaned? Keep reading to learn more.
What to Know about Cleaning a Commercial Refrigerator
Accumulation of oils, food bits, and spills in a commercial refrigerator can quickly add to the mess in your kitchen. Proper attention to the fridge is vital to running a sanitary commercial kitchen. Additionally, food preparations will come together more easily and orderly with a clean, organized refrigerator.
The volume of meals produced in your commercial kitchen will dictate the amount of cleaning that is necessary. No matter what, a commercial fridge should be cleaned at least once a day or after each shift. Make sure to straighten items inside the refrigerator, wipe spills, and note containers are labeled as necessary.
A deep clean of your commercial refrigerator can take place as needed; we usually recommend between once every week to once every month. Staying on a regular cleaning schedule will ensure a clean, odor-free, and organized fridge.
What is the Best Way to Deep Clean a Commercial Refrigerator?
- Inside of the Fridge Remove all containers, drawers, and shelves if possible. Wipe or replace containers as needed. Carefully and thoroughly wipe down the inside surface of the fridge with a warm, soapy, water solution. A gentle grease-removing cleaner can be used as necessary. Clean the drawers and shelves in the same fashion. These items can be properly cleaned in a deep sink and wiped dry.
- Outside Fridge Surface This area can be gently cleaned with a soft cloth and soapy water or gentle cleaning solution, and wiped dry. If the outside refrigerator surface is stainless, a specific polish for this type of finish can be applied to a clean, dry surface.
- Gaskets These parts of a commercial refrigerator can quickly see gunk and build-up accumulate. Wipe down these areas well and make sure to address the bottom of the gaskets and the gaps.
- Drain Pans and Tubes These parts of your commercial refrigerator see a lot of moisture, dirt, and dust. It’s essential to properly empty and clean them to avoid unsanitary conditions, odors, and backups. Clean these items with soapy water and review them for any damage.
- Condensers and Filters Review the manual for the correct condenser cleaning process. Dust and grease can accumulate and cause a refrigerator to work overtime. Approach this section every 3 months and review its cleanliness.
Advice to Keep your Commercial Refrigerator Clean
A commercial refrigerator should be reviewed throughout the business day. Has something spilled? Has food debris accumulated during a shift? Spot-cleaning these areas will be essential to maintaining a level of clean and sanitation inside your commercial kitchen’s refrigerator during a workday.
Having a cleaning schedule implemented regularly will help ensure a consistently-clean commercial refrigerator every day. Any type of facility that prepares food or meals should follow a timeline and specific procedure frequently to prevent food-borne illness and provide a safe food product.
When You’re Ready for a Consistently-Clean Commercial Refrigerator
The easiest way to keep your commercial fridge clean on a regular basis is to hire a professional team to clean. Let us do the cleaning work for you – either on a regular schedule or for your one-time cleans. Click to learn more about the commercial kitchen cleaning services we can help you with.
Our professional cleaning staff is bonded, insured, and maintains OSHA compliance. We are happy to clean most any work environment. Please contact us online or call us at 571.451.0441 for answers to your cleaning questions and to schedule your personalized commercial kitchen cleaning estimate today!