Do you find that your office is a bit of a mess, and getting things accomplished at work means cleaning up first? We know it doesn’t have to be this way. With a little effort and some supplies, you can easily declutter your office and boost productivity for yourself and your co-workers or employees. Here’s how to do it.
Declutter your Office to Boost Productivity
Keeping an office organized and arranged well on a daily basis will make a big difference in your ability to execute work tasks properly. It can take some effort, but continuing to implement organization daily will create a habit the whole team can stick to.
To begin decluttering your office, start by gathering some supplies like pens, markers, file folders, file or plane boxes, plastic bins, and containers. From there, follow these steps:
- Sorting The first step in the decluttering process is to sort through all the piles. Whether it’s papers, supplies, or tools, going through these piles to determine what is necessary to keep and toss will help whittle down what will be left to organize.
- Systematize Files, projects, and paperwork should all have a home. File paperwork regularly. Bigger documents and presentation boards can stand up in a closet. Reports and booklets can be located on a designated shelf or in a closet. Keeping a space specifically for all work materials is important in order to locate them in the future and prevent damage.
- Relocate Do supplies get left out repeatedly or wander off, and your work task has to stop in order to find something? This is a good reason to organize tools and other specific supplies in bins and containers near the proper workstations or desks. Tools should be easy to find and access throughout the day.
- Habits Straightening up daily and taking time after every workday to put everything back in its home will make the next day more productive right away. Everyone will be able to find what they need quickly and projects can move along without difficulty.
Benefits of Decluttering your Office
Research shows that clutter can lead to anxiety, inability to focus, and stress…and that is no way to run an office. Keeping your work areas decluttered encourages positive behavior and naturally boosts productivity. A clean, well-kept office has many benefits and advantages beyond just having a clean work area, too.
- It is calming to have a workplace that is organized and operating well. Without clutter everywhere, people can easily focus without distraction.
- Staff will be more efficient when they don’t need to stop what they are doing to move clutter around or search for supplies or paperwork. This allows for the faster completion of projects and with more accuracy.
- An office, desk, and overall workplace that is well organized will save an enormous amount of time and people will be more productive with their activities.
What is the Main Cause of Office Clutter?
It’s really simple: office and work area clutter can turn into a problem when there isn’t a specific place to store supplies and when they aren’t put back in their place when they are done being used. Keeping an organization and decluttering practice in place on a daily and weekly basis will prevent office clutter from taking over.
It’s not hard to accomplish, but a schedule could help to instill the habit. For instance, half an hour before the end of the work day, spend it cleaning up and preparing for the next work day. Some members can also clean up during the day and make sure the clutter finds its way back to its spot or in the trash. The work team will perform better and with more proficiency.
When You’re Ready for a Consistently-Clean Office
The easiest way to keep your office clean on a regular basis is to hire a professional team to clean. Let us do the cleaning work for you – either on a regular schedule or for your one-time cleans. Click here to learn more about the janitorial services we can help you with.
Our professional cleaning staff is bonded, insured, and maintains OSHA compliance. We are happy to clean your workspaces in your fitness and recreation centers, schools, healthcare facilities, churches, and many more work environments. Please contact us online or call us at 571.451.0441 for answers to your cleaning questions and to schedule your personalized janitorial cleaning estimate today!