Once in awhile, bad odors will arise in your office space. With a lot of people plus food and drink – and maybe a workspace that involves chemicals in a closed-in space – odors are bound to happen. But, that doesn’t mean they have to linger long and become bothersome.
There are a number of methods you can try in order to freshen up your office and make your surroundings more inviting. From simple ideas and products, to eliminating odors that occur during the day, to scheduling and keeping your office clean regularly, you can do a lot to make sure odors don’t occur in the first place.
How to Remove Bad Odors at Work
Simple and Mild Odor Removers
Let’s talk about removing minor odors from your office space first. These would be odors that emanate from lunchrooms and conference areas, and from more sensitive areas like restrooms and offices. And, let’s face it, stinky odors don’t invite a friendly atmosphere, so eliminating them quickly is a must.
1. Our favorite way to eliminate odors is to address the source. Sometimes that’s as simple as a trash can with smelly contents. Removing the trash bag from the office and either cleaning out the can or at least keeping it outside to air it out can go far in removing odors swiftly. Use a mild cleaner in the can like vinegar to keep the processes natural and gentle.
2. If you have windows and doors in your office space, opening them and providing fresh air can go a long way to eradicate odors quickly and naturally as well. Airing out your office is a great way to refresh your space and reduce any stale smells that turn up.
3. Ceiling and kitchen fans can also help improve the circulation of the air in a room with odors, pushing it towards the exit. Running the air conditioning can also help move the stagnant air around and filter out smells to provide a fresher atmosphere throughout your office.
4. If the fridge or microwave are the culprits, cleaning them out with hot, soapy water, and removing all offensive food and tossing them out of the building can quickly help reduce the unappealing smells coming from your kitchen or lunchroom areas. Keeping this area of cleanup on a schedule will keep these areas smelling fresh longer.
5. To get rid of any odors that linger even after cleaning and airing out your work or office space, consider making some coffee to provide a nice smell to mask any last remnants of the unpleasant odors you had.
Another tip to freshen up after cleaning and airing out your office is using some baking soda on your carpets, letting it sit for a bit and vacuum it up to eliminate any of those last lingering odors.
Removing More Serious Odors
If you have a more serious odor concern in your office, maybe it’s time to clean more often and on a regular basis. Emptying and removing trash daily, keeping microwaves, refrigerators and kitchens cleaned up, and taking the time to vacuum and sanitize your bathrooms often can go a long way to keep the smells at bay.
Cleaning on a schedule can really help keep your office smelling nice. Regular cleaning can tackle odors before they have a chance to permeate and linger in your office space.
Call In The Office Cleaning Professionals
The easiest way to keep your office and workspace clean is to hire a professional team. Let us do the work for you and on a regular basis.
Click here to learn more about our cleaning services for all your commercial and office building needs. Our professional cleaning staff is bonded, insured, and maintains OSHA compliance. We would be happy to clean it for you. Please contact us online or call us at 571.384.3415 for answers to your questions and to schedule your janitorial cleaning appointment today!